Break out the Dutch oven and make hearty balsamic roasted chicken and sausage for dinner on a chilly autumn evening. It’s a one-pot meal since there are potatoes, carrots, onions and even some roasted garlic cloves to spread on crusty bread.
Balsamic Roasted Chicken And Sausage Recipe
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt or sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- One 3 ½ lb. chicken cut up into parts 2 wings, 2 legs, 4 breast pieces - halve each breast crosswise, 2 thighs
- 4 sweet Italian sausage links
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and cut into approx. 1-inch cubes
- 2 to 4 carrots depending on size, cut into approx 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion peeled, cut in half, and then further cut into 8 to 12 pieces
- 8 cloves of garlic unpeeled
- Preheat oven, along with a 5 quart (lid on) Dutch oven inside, to 425º F.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper and thyme.
- Place the chicken, sausage, potatoes, carrots and onions in the bowl with the oil and vinegar mixture and toss to coat everything well.
- Remove the chicken and sausage pieces to a plate.
- Carefully (don’t burn yourself on the hot Dutch oven) pour the vegetables and vinegar/oil mixture into the hot Dutch oven and spread out evenly.
- Using tongs, place the chicken and sausage pieces in one layer on top of the vegetables in the Dutch oven.
- Toss in the garlic cloves on top of the chicken.
- Using pot holders, put the lid back on the hot Dutch oven, return it to the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the lid from the Dutch oven and continue baking for another 30 minutes, for a total cooking time of 1 hour.
- When done, remove the Dutch oven and let the chicken and vegetables rest for 10 minutes before serving.