Brined BBQ Chicken on the grill is one of my favorite summertime treats. Add some potato salad and baked beans and you’ve got a great meal to enjoy on the patio. An instant read thermometer is essential for making sure the chicken is perfectly done.
Brined BBQ Chicken On The Grill
- 2 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons kosher or sea salt
- 4 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 - 3 garlic cloves smashed
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Whole chicken cut up with skin on
- BBQ sauce for basting
- In a very large bowl, mix together everything except the chicken to dissolve the salt and sugar in the brine.
- Add the chicken and cover the bowl with cling wrap. Place in refrigerator and let sit for at least 30 minutes and up to two hours in the brine.
- Remove the chicken from the brine and pat it dry with paper towels.
- Preheat the grill and rub the grill grate with oil to prevent sticking.
- Grill chicken pieces skin side up for six minutes, then turn the chicken over and grill for another six minutes.
- Move chicken pieces to an area on the grill that is not directly over heat, baste with bbq sauce, close cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Turn chicken, baste with sauce again, close cover and cook another 10 minutes.
- Check temperature of chicken pieces near the bone with an instant read thermometer. When the internal temperature reaches 160º F, the chicken is done.
- Remove chicken pieces from the grill to a clean plate, loosely cover with foil to keep warm and let chicken rest for five minutes before serving.