When temperatures rise and a caffeine jolt is needed, try a quick and easy caffé shakerato. It’s basically a shot of espresso with sugar, shaken over ice until frothy. The resulting drink is sublime since the sugar and melted water from the ice tempers the bitterness of the coffee while the shaking provides a delicious low-calorie foam topping. Strain it into a martini glass and enjoy!
Of course, this delicious beverage begs for the addition of alcohol to make it a very special treat. Add an ounce of Bailey’s or other coffee compatible liqueur and really get the afternoon going!
One more tip: For a special decorative touch, sprinkle the top of the drink with a tiny bit of cocoa powder. For extra-fancy presentation, the cocoa powder can be sprinkled on through a pre-cut template which has a distinctive design such as a leaf, a letter or some other meaningful symbol.
Caffè Shakerato - The Real Italian Iced Coffee
- 2 oz. espresso two shots
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 oz. coffee compatible liqueur such as Bailey's optional
- Cocoa powder optional
- Add sugar to cocktail shaker and pour in the hot espresso.
- Stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Add liqueur.
- Add ice to fill cocktail shaker ½ full.
- Add cover and shake vigorously for at least 30 seconds or until drink is frothy.
- Strain drink into a martini glass.
- Garnish with tiny amount of cocoa powder if desired.