This green pea salad recipe is an update on an old classic. The addition of grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese along with crispy bacon and sweet pickle relish makes for a delicious side dish. It’s also a winner for pot luck get togethers.
Paul's Green Pea Salad Recipe
- One 16 oz. bag of small green peas thawed
- 4 Tablespoons chopped red onion or chopped scallions white and green parts
- 4 Tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 4 Tablespoons finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Pecorino Romano cheese
- 3 - 4 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 -3 Strips of crispy bacon chopped or crumbled (optional)
- Thaw green peas in the microwave if desired, but do not cook or get them hot. A one pound bag of frozen peas will thaw in about four minutes a maximum power. If you’re unsure about the power of your microwave, try microwaving for two minutes at maximum power, stir and check to see if they are thawed. If not thawed, repeat minute by minute until they are thawed but still cool.
- Mix first 6 ingredients in a bowl, holding back on the salt until tasted — remember, the cheese is salty. Add more seasonings as desired.
- Serve immediately or cover tightly and refrigerate.. Stir before serving. Sprinkle bacon pieces on top to serve, or if you have vegetarians present, serve the bacon on the side.