Steak house style iceberg wedge salad isn’t really a recipe so much — it’s just composing a few ingredients. It’s a very simple salad, yet when put together with the very best and freshest ingredients, it becomes a delightful start to a meal. There’s no need to go to an expensive steak house to treat yourself when this salad can be put together quickly and inexpensively. It takes longer to cook the bacon than prepping anything else.
Use my homemade blue cheese dressing recipe for this salad and you’ll never go back to store-bought bottled dressing again.
Steak House Style Iceberg Wedge Salad
- 1 very fresh head of iceberg lettuce well chilled
- 2 medium sized tomatoes — preferably heirloom for the best flavor
- 4 slices of thick-cut bacon cooked crisp and crumbled
- Home made blue cheese dressing
- Crumbled blue cheese for topping
- Sea salt or Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- Clean the head of lettuce: (a) pull off any wilted leaf layers on the outside, (b) cut out the core root with a sharp paring knife, (c) run cold water into the head of lettuce through the core cut-out until it feels heavy, and (d) turn the lettuce core-cut side down to let it drain thoroughly.
- Cut the head of lettuce in half (from top to bottom) and then cut each lettuce half (from top to bottom) again to make four wedges. Lay the wedges on paper towels cut side down to drain briefly.
- Wash and trim the stems off the tomatoes, trim off any bad looking spots, and cut the tomatoes into 12 wedges in the same manner as the lettuce. If the tomatoes are really juicy, lay the wedges on paper towels briefly to drain off some of the liquid.
- On four plates, set one lettuce wedge along with 3 tomato wedges.
- Generously drizzle 3 tablespoons (or more if desired) of home made blue cheese dressing over the center top of each lettuce wedge and allow it to pool on the plate.
- Sprinkle the bacon crumbles and a few blue cheese crumbles on each lettuce wedge.
- Sprinkle the tomatoes and lettuce wedges with a bit of salt and pepper to season.
- Serve immediately.