When the garden is mass-producing zucchini in mid-summer, look no further than this delicious zucchini gratin recipe to make good use of it.
Zucchini Gratin Recipe
- 6 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs. zucchini sliced into ¼ inch thick rounds
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 medium onions peeled, halved, and sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 plump garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves -or- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 - 2 slices of bread
- 1 cup grated Parmesano-Reggiano or Romano cheese or a combination of the two
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- 10 fresh basil leaves chopped (optional)
- Toss zucchini slices with one teaspoon of the salt and place in a colander to drain for about an hour.
- Place slices of drained zucchini on several layers of paper towels, cover with several more layers of paper towels and press to squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Place oven rack in upper-middle position and pre-heat oven to 400º F. Coat a 13” x 9” baking dish with olive oil.
- While the oven is preheating, saute the onions over medium heat in one Tablespoon of olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon black pepper until golden brown - about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Combine 3 Tablespoons olive oil, minced garlic, ½ teaspoon black pepper and thyme in a large bowl and toss with the zucchini.
- Arrange a layer of zucchini slices in the baking dish, then cover with the onions, repeat layer with the remaining zucchini slices.
- Bake uncovered until vegetables are tender and edges begin to brown - about 40 to 45 minutes.
- While the zucchini bakes, process the bread in a food processor to make crumbs. Add in a tablespoon of olive oil, the cheese and the chives. Pulse a few more times to combine.
- After the zucchini bakes, remove it from the oven, increase the the temperature to 450º F, and sprinkle the bread crumb topping over the zucchini.
- Bake until the topping is lightly browned — about 5 to 10 minutes. Remove dish from oven, sprinkle with basil (if using) and let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving.
Zucchini Gratin Recipe Food Prep Gallery