Make this easy and quick hot and sour soup recipe at home in about 10 minutes and you’ll have something much better than take-out or delivery food. Use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock and it’s vegetarian.
Hot And Sour Soup Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch plus 3 Tablespoons water
- 2 cups of low sodium chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 ½ cups water
- 5 to 6 oz. of soft tofu about ⅓ lb., sliced into 1 ½ inch strips
- 5 to 6 oz. of sliced white or baby portobello/crimini mushrooms about ⅓ lb
- 3 to 4 Tablespoons soy sauce* brewed, organic is preferred — avoid the chemically produced low-sodium variety
- 2 ½ Tablespoons apple cider vinegar or rice wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon white or black pepper
- 1 egg beaten
- Mix together the cornstarch and 3 tablespoons of water to make a slurry and set aside.
- Bring the broth and 1 ½ cups of water to a boil in a medium-sized sauce pan.
- Add the tofu and mushrooms, return to a boil, and cook for two minutes.
- Stir in the soy sauce, vinegar, and pepper, return to a boil.
- Stir the cornstarch slurry again (it tends to solidify while sitting) and then stir it into the soup.
- Continue to stir the soup until it returns to a boil and thickens — about two minutes.
- Turn off the burner and set the pot off the heat.
- Pour the beaten egg into the center of the pot and wait 10 seconds.
- Using a butter knife, stir the egg three times so it “blooms” into the soup.
- Serve immediately with crispy wonton strips, if desired.