Including an entire head of garlic cloves in this roasted garlic dressing and dip recipe might seem a bit extreme, but roasting garlic really mellows it out. Serve this dressing on green salad or as a dip with chips and crudités.
Roasted Garlic Dressing & Dip
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt or sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425º F.
- Without breaking up the head of garlic, remove the outer layers of the garlic paper and cut off about ⅛ inch from the top of the head to expose the flesh of the garlic cloves.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the head of garlic.
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt over the head of garlic.
- Wrap the head of garlic in an aluminum foil pouch, leaving some space inside the pouch on the sides and top of the garlic.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- When the garlic is cool enough to handle, squeeze the garlic cloves out of their paper and mash them into a smooth paste. Mashing the cloves into a paste can be done by pressing the cloves flat with the side of large kitchen knife (on a cutting board), scraping up the garlic, and repeating the mash several times.
- Stir all ingredients together well.
- Cover in a tightly sealed container and refrigerate for at least an hour for the flavor to develop.
- Stir before serving.
- Adjust salt and pepper if necessary.