This classic scalloped cauliflower recipe produces a delicious, creamy side dish with a crunchy bread crumb topping. The recipe for making the white sauce is in a separate post on this blog.
Scalloped Cauliflower Recipe
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 medium cauliflower
- ½ cup grated Parmesano Reggiano or Pecorino Romano cheese
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- White sauce link to recipe above
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Break the cauliflower into florets, place in a steamer, and steam with salted water for 10 - 15 minutes, or until desired tenderness is reached. Use a fork to test tenderness — it should pierce the cauliflower but not cause it to fall apart.
- Cut the garlic clove in half and rub it all around the baking dish (an 8” round soufflé dish works well for this recipe). Then butter the baking dish with the tablespoon of butter.
- While the cauliflower steams, make the white sauce (link to instructions above).
- Place a layer of the cooked cauliflower in the buttered baking dish, sprinkle on a layer of the grated cheese, spoon on a layer of the white sauce. Repeat until all the cauliflower is used.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top and bake in a 350º F oven for about thirty minutes. If topping is not brown enough when done, turn on the broiler for about a minute to finish browning, but watch it closely or it will burn.
Adapted from recipes found in The American Woman’s Cookbook, published by The Culinary Arts Institute in 1949.