This classic white sauce recipe is the base for many classic dishes. Making a white sauce is not very difficult, but it does require the cook’s undivided attention for about five minutes.
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon white pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Blend in flour with a whisk until smooth.
- Add milk gradually, whisking constantly until boiling point is reached.
- Reduce heat and cook for 3 minutes longer.
- Whisk in salt and pepper.
- To hold the sauce briefly, place over hot water to keep hot and cover tightly to prevent a film from forming.
Use this white sauce in dishes like scalloped cauliflower.