French toast with ice cream? Try it! It’s delicious! I used Turkey Hill all natural salted caramel ice cream on my French toast this morning.
It’s best to use a sturdy rustic bread such as sourdough or my easy homemade rustic Italian bread since a lighter bread will not hold up to the custard soak. All the better if the bread is a little on the stale side.
- Large mixing bowl
- Large skillet
- 8 Slices Bread
- 3 Egg yolks
- 1 1/2 Cup Milk
- 4 Tbsp Unsalted butter 2 Tbsp for custard; 2 Tbsp for cooking
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp Ground cinnamon
- 2 Pinches Salt
- 3 Tbsp Light or Dark Brown Sugar
- Heat the milk in the microwave for 45 seconds
- Melt two tablespoons of the butter and mix it in with the heated milk. Heating the milk keeps the butter from clumping up.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the milk/butter mixture, egg yolks, vanilla extract, cinnamon, salt and brown sugar.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Soak the bread slices in the milk mixture for about 20 seconds.
- Cook the soaked bread pieces in butter in the skillet about 3 - 4 minutes per side, until just browned in places.
- Serve immediately with maple syrup and/or ice cream.